Thursday, June 10, 2010

What I'm Reading This Summer

This week, I finished reading Why Translation Matters by Edith Grossman and The Mailbox by Marybeth Whalen. I have whittled the pile of “to read” down a little bit, but here’s still a fairly ambitious stack. Or actually, two stacks, to be precise. And a few on a shelf.

Here’s the list:

Poetry

The Apple Trees at Olema by Robert Hass.
Lighthead by Terence Hayes.
Imagination and The Written Word by Shaun Masterton.
The Hidden Life and Fault Lines by T.M. Moore.
Open Ground by Seamus Heaney.

Fiction

Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott.
Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes.
Mending String by Cliff Coon.
The Matisse Stories by A.S. Byatt.

Suspense

Rooms by James Rubart.
Forget Me Not by Vicki Hinze.
Broken by Travis Thrasher.

Non-Fiction

Parting the Waters by Jeanne Damoff.
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.
Ordinary Genius by Kim Addonizio.
Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef.
Stepping Stones: Interviews with Seamus Heaney by Dennis O’Driscoll.

Faith/Devotional

God in the Yard by L.L. Barkat.
The Ailbe Psalter by T.M. Moore.
The Cross Gardener by Jason Wright.

Ambitious, yes. But a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?

Related:

My Spring Reading Thing by Cheryl Smith, who’s still trying to catch up on her spring reading.

Dan King’s 7 Fascinating Books.

A Sort of Summer Reading List by L.L. Barkat.

Summer Reading by Heather at Madame Rubies Writes.

Ann Kroeker's Ambitious Summer Reading List.

Bradley Moore's Summer Reading List.

Charity Singleton's Summer is Time for Reading.

Cheryl Smith's My Summer Reading List Is Getting Out of Control.

Picnic by Laura Boggess for the High Calling Blogs.

10 comments:

katdish said...

Well, I've read two of those books and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND both of them.

The War of Art is a quick read, but you'll want to refer back to it again and again.

Parting the Waters by the lovely and talented Jeanne Damoff is a thing of beauty. She's one amazing writer, and Jacob's story will stay with you long after you put the book down.

Now hurry up and clear off that bookshelf. Snow Day will be out in October. I could maybe get you a signed copy or something...

L.L. Barkat said...

I just got the translation one at the library! It's in my kitchen, waiting, waiting. :)

Now, look at this list. More to consider. And I will.

Sandra Heska King said...

One of those is in my to-read pile--The War of Art. The pile is teetering now. But these all look so good, too!

Anonymous said...

what a well balanced list.

and, as you probably know, i am going to have to do a little "looking into" each one.

Anonymous said...

Well, now my "ambitious" reading list looks downright puny.

Thanks for sharing your plans, Glynn!

Maureen said...

You have some very fine books on this list. And 20 reviews, perhaps?

Louise Gallagher said...

Ok -- so now not only does my yard look somewhat disordered next to your garden, my reading list wanes by comparison.

Still haven't finished, "I shall not Lie". And have to complete my lsit.

I'm so glad to have friends like you who remind to stay focused and on task!

20 reviews -- now that would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is ambitious! I also feel extra dumb at having heard of a grand total of ONE of those books, and never read any of them. So I can't recommend them either way. But you'll have to let us know if they're any good.

Laura said...

oh, goodness. i'm never going to make it through. so many books, so little time...

Heather said...

Great list. Will have to look a few of these up.