Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Don't You Hate Your Job?


About once a week, I’m asked the same question.

“Don’t you hate your job?” A variation on the theme is, “How do you stand your job?”

Well, I admit there are some days when I dream about living on a beach.

But I don’t hate my job.

I lead a social media team for a large organization. Our team is tiny, about a fifth of what it needs to be. The last 10 months have been tough: too much work, not enough people to do it, pressure to do it anyway. The organization has questions and issues. From time to time, some people get mad. And then they vent. They don’t have to be mad at us to vent. We’re just convenient.


After doing this for two-and-a-half years, I’ve discovered there is no profanity, or creative variation of profanity, that can make me blush. (The profanity also suggests how far public discourse has fallen – many people seem unable to communicate without it.)

To continue reading, please see my post today at The High Calling.

Photograph by George Hodan via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

No comments: