Sunday, February 22, 2015

I could not see


I could not see
from birth, my life
was lived in sound
and darkness
and touch

until he took dirt
and spit,
plastering my eyes
with mud and said
wash in the pool
of Siloam, the pool
created for water
without fear
living water

I was blind
blind from birth
I stumbled to the pool
of Siloam, feeling my way

I washed my face,
I washed my eyes
in the pool of Siloam

I was blind and now
I see, now I see
and live in sound
and touch and light
now I see and know
where to kneel
to whom to kneel
now I see and reach
to the blind.

Photograph: Lower pool, Breikhat Hashiloah, Jerusalem; "City of david12" by daniel ventura - my self. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons

3 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Absolutely brilliant, Glynn! Going to share on FB and Twitter!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I was there today. How lovely to see the familiar spot.

Joy Lenton said...

Beautiful poetry, Glynn! And a wonderful way to bring a Bible story to life. Thank you. ☺