Friday, May 1, 2015

An Umbrella and a Bible


I look around my office at work, and all that’s left is an umbrella and a Bible.

Today is my last day of work at the day job. It’s a strange feeling to be looking straight in the face of retirement.

We’ve been planning this for more than a year. It takes a lot of work to retire – all of the things that have to be lined up, including at least some thoughts as to what I’ll be doing after tomorrow. Retirement is a cultural concept, not a biblical one. Abraham tended flocks until he couldn’t tend them any more.

I will continue to work. It will just be different. Less structured. Less routine. Less hectic. Less crazy. Less crisis-ridden. The article I wrote for The High Calling this week summed up what my working life has been like.

I told the company last June. I nailed down the date in January. The planning and work have been intense at times. This is where my ask-every-question-and-then-some wife steps to the fore. We’re able to take this major step in our lives because she is a wise, capable woman who planned for our future. My wisdom came solely in heeding what she said.

I had planned to work longer, but a number of different things happened, and by last March, the path forwarded became a lot clearer than it had been.

My office has slowly been stripped rather bare. It helped that our offices were reconstructed, and I moved from an office to a half-office and then to a cubicle. Files have been sorted. The computer has been largely emptied. Documents have been transferred. I have two messages left in my email inbox, both reminders to do something. Personal items have been taken home.

Left on the walls are two posters for Tweetspeak Poetry’s Poetry-at-Work Day (one for 2014 and one for 2015) and a poster for National Poetry Month. I’ve turned in my iPad, stripped back to factory standards, with my phone and computer to follow shortly.

I will miss the people. I work with good people on our Digital Team. I have two good people reporting to me. I’m leaving our social media channels in good, competent hands. I’ve also arranged for ongoing management of the corporate archives – a small part of my job but one that’s interesting and often important. (I’ve often joked about being responsible for the “alpha and omega” of the company – the social media channels and the archives.)

Do I have plans? Yes, absolutely. It will be a different life, but it will still be a full one. I’ll continue to work with The High Calling and Tweetspeak Poetry. I will likely find myself doing some babysitting with the grandsons. I will continue to write fiction and poetry, and I want to do some volunteer work. I may even do some freelancing.

So it’s not exactly retirement as commonly perceived. (And I don’t play golf.)


So today I will attend a few scheduled meetings and have lunch with the digital team. At some point in the afternoon, I will get my Bible and my umbrella, and walk to my car.


It will be good.

10 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Wishing you nothing but the best in retirement, Glynn! I'm looking forward to enjoying more fiction and poetry from you in the future. Celebrate the beginning of a new journey!
Blessings always!

Unknown said...

Glynn, congrats on the retirement! It's great that you're still pursuing your purpose during retirement. I've heard that's the key to staying young. :) Anyway, enjoy your new adventure.

Robbie Pruitt said...

Peace, prayers and blessings brother! Excited for all that is ahead for you!

Maureen said...

I called it quits after 35 years or so, an estimated 25 of which were with the same company. I don't miss it one bit.

The first thing I did was nothing. . . but reading and walking and thinking (for about two weeks), and then I started pursuing what I wanted to do.

Blessings to you, Glynn. This time will belong to you. I know it will be creative and fulfilling.

David Rupert said...

I am so happy for you. You have been a voice of clarity and moral strength. You have given your gift of words and helped move mountains. I know it's a little bittersweet but am cheering into Glynn 2.0

S. Etole said...

Looking forward to what lies ahead for you and your family. Blessings in all you do.
I loaned your 2 books to a friend of mine and she said she couldn't put them down and wondered if there will be a third. I told her I hoped so!

diana said...

Well done, faithful servant. You know that, right? WELL DONE. The next stage is rich, Glynn. There will be moments of loss and disorientation, but overall, it is ALL good. Many, many blessings as you step out into the next thing. One thing I know for sure - this space will be FULL of what you're doing/reading/learning and I look forward to that immensely. Thank you for being a good and faithful servant.

Jerry said...

*Applause! I'm so thankful you aren't finished writing and blogging! I will be in the St. Louis area next weekend. I wish there was time to meet you and slap your back in person, but alas, time will not permit. So cyber high five for now.

helen tilston said...

Hello Glynn

Wishing you joy and adventures as you progress to the good life.
Helen

H. Gillham said...

Congratulations.

I wish you the best.