Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Have You Ever Fallen in Love with One of Your Characters?


Something strange happened to me as I was writing my third novel, Dancing King. I fell in love with one of the characters.

Perhaps “fell in love” is too strong. “Became fascinated with” might be more apt. It was a character who came seemingly out of nowhere, a minor character, in fact, one whose presence wasn’t crucial to the story.

The character was born out of the need to plug a hole. The main characters were trying to fill a position and not having much success. Their problem was actually the author’s fault – it was the author who wasn’t having much success figuring out what to do. 

The problem didn’t solve itself; I had planned on this minor character, but it was going to be a tiny, short-lived role, unrelated to the unfilled position. And then, for his short scene, he wouldn’t leave the page.

To continue reading, please see my post today at the ACFW blog.

Photograph by Karl Frederickson viaUnsplash. Used with permission.

1 comment:

S. Etole said...

I wasn't able to access the link, Glynn.