Sunday, November 24, 2019

The i's are dotted, the t's crossed


After Philippians 3:4-11

The i’s are all dotted:
I have done it all,
fulfilled every plan
and dream, attained 
every position I set out
to attain, every honor,
every award.

The t’s are all crossed:
I’ve been exactly what
I was supposed to be:
a follower of rules,
tireless worker, a giver,
a tither, a teacher,
I have a pedigree
unsurpassed,
I’ve even taught
junior high boys
in Sunday School
and lived to tell
the tale.

And it all counts
for exactly 
nothing,
worthless, not
even worthy
of a paving stone
in the courtyard.
What matters isn’t
what I’ve done,
what I’ve believed,
what I’ve accepted,
what I’ve fought for.

All that matters
is knowing the carpenter,
is knowing the fisherman.

Photograph by Jonatan Becerra via Unsplash. Used with permission.

No comments: