Thursday, October 17, 2024

A Year-of-the-Monarch Confession: I am a Milkweed Murderer


Tweetspeak Poetry’s
 Year of the Monarch is coming to an end. For the past year, led by our Poet Laura Dheepa Maturiand writer Laura Boggess, we’ve been celebrating the Monarch butterfly. We even had a milkweed challenge – planting the Monarch’s favorite plant. 

I kept quiet, but I shuddered at the thought of planting milkweed.

 

I live in Missouri. Most of my state is in the Eastern Monarchs’ migratory path to and from central Mexico. I have seen them in my yard, never in profusion but in numbers sufficient to say they’re here and looking for sustenance.


To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.


Photograph: Our patch of autumn-fading itea, aka the scene of the crime.


Some Thursday Readings

 

Poet Laura: Message in a Bottle – Michelle Rinaldi Ortega at Tweetspeak Poetry.

 

“Wedlock: A Satire,” poem by Mehetabel Wesley – Sally Thomas at Poems Ancient and Modern.

 

I Was Homechooled and I Turned Out Fine – Alan Noble at Mere Orthodoxy.

 

No comments: