Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Listening to the shell

I listened to the shell
cupped against my ear,
a slight hint of the roar
of the sea,
a wisp of the salt smell
of the sea,
a bare trace of the creature
that had lived within,
whispering its echoes
of the waves
of the sea.
I held the shell
cupped in my hand
and imagined infinity.

This poem is submitted for Open Link Night at dVersePoets. To see more poems, please visit the site. The links will be live at 2 p.m. Central time today.

Photograph: Pastel Seashell by Pennie Gibson via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

7 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles...this is lovely glynn...esp imagining infinity...i miss the ocean and hearing its roar...i need to find me a shell...smiles.

Matthew Quinn said...

A lovely meditation.

http://poemblaze.wordpress.com (can't post this with wordpress link)

Sky Raft Wanderer said...

A wonderful write.

The closing lines are particularly good.

Nice work here.

Other Mary said...

It's good you remind us of the joy of a little thing like this. Great closing line.

S. Etole said...

brings back childhood memories of holding such a shell ... very poignant

Anonymous said...

oh for crying out loud...
which is what i am about to do
for you...yes you
have made me think of blue
skies and foamy waves
on the sand
sniff
the warm warm sand
i need to go and get my shell now...

Radical Believer said...

I really enjoyed this poem. The rhythm evokes the sound of waves on the shore. Great write. I only hope I can beat the authentication now :-)