Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Learning from Little Things


I’m strolling through a local plant nursery with a gardening expert. We’re working on a kind of makeover of the gardens at our house. At one point she smiles and says, “This is like a candy store for you.” And it is. I’m struck with wonder at this small slice of the diversity that is God’s creation.

I get an email from someone who’s read Dancing Priest and loaned it to a relative. The relative read it and said, “For the first time, I understand what you’ve been talking about when you talk about faith.” An executive at work stops me in the hallway and tells me his 14-year-old son read it and loved it.

Our grandson squeals with delight when he sees our car pull into the driveway.

I read about the Secret Service scandal with Colombian prostitutes, and I grieve for what’s happening to the character of our country.

I hear that Charles Colson died, and I feel thankful for his incredible wxample of redemption and God’s grace. And then I read that Franky Schaeffer, the son of Francis Schaeffer, uses Colson’s death as an occasion to attack both Colson and evangelicals. He actually wrote two blog posts but took the first one down, because it didn’t go far enough.

I’m sitting in a discussion group, and I hear people speaking who sound like my father, my son and myself. I begin to understand what the discussion group is about.

I read about growing hostility to Christians around the globe – China, Russia, Sudan, Egypt, Nigeria, the United States – and I think “they will hate you because they hate me.”

I see the move “October Baby,” and I marvel that Samuel Goldwyn would help produce it.

Little things, really, Little ways. Little means God uses to speak to us.

In Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption, Katie Davis speaks of the little ways through which God touches her life – a comment as a gas station, a children’s fight, hearing of the murder of a child she doesn’t know, hearing the voice of one of her adopted children and knowing it’s one of hers, getting a van to help transports food and children. Each way is both an encouragement and something new to learn.

In what little way have you experienced God’s love and teaching?


Led by Jason Stasyszen and Sarah Salter, we’ve been reading Kisses from Katie. To see more posts on this chapter, “A Different Kind of Education,” please visit Jason’s site, Connecting to Impact.

8 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Yes, Glynn, all the ways God speaks to us if we are open to hear Him. Great post!

H. Gillham said...

Your list of God's nudges makes me smile.

It's so many little things that add up to this HUGE love He has for us.

Blessings galore.

I just need to pause more and thank Him.

Unknown said...

All these observations, Glynn, so full of promise and tragedy. Thanks for paying attention today. We all help each other see, don't we?

jasonS said...

So many little ways God speaks to us and reveals Himself. One of my most recent ways I've seen Him was that I spent last week preparing for and being part of a conference with our church family and others. I was a little hesitant but I wrote to my web design clients that I would be out for the week and took a break from writing my blog for the majority of the week. When I woke up Monday morning, I had a fax from a client who had had a contract for a couple months but never signed. It was now signed and ready to go! Just showed me again that I can trust His leading always.

Thanks Glynn! Love your post.

Louise Gallagher said...

Such beauty in those little ways.

The sun on the water.

Ellie splashing in the river.

A stranger's smile.

My daughter calling just to say 'I love you'.

Playing peek-a-boo with a child in the cart behind me at the grocery store checkout -- and the laughter. oh yes, the laughter.

It all touches my heart and makes a difference.

SimplyDarlene said...

In so many that they cannot be numbered or named...

Blessings.

S. Etole said...

Frequently through the lens of my camera.

Anonymous said...

words, good things, hard things, blog comments, images, kindness, Love, blossoms...