Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Today is Poetry at Work Day!


I can tell you exactly where I was when I first heard poetry at work.

I was in a meeting, sharing a conference room table with seven other people. The meeting was a recurring one – every Wednesday at 9 a.m. The discussion was generally recurring, too; there is indeed nothing new under the sun.

I was restless; I get restless at meetings that ostensibly are about coordination and team buy-in but are really about avoiding blame by distributing responsibility. This particular meeting was a best practice in that regard.

As I listened, I began taking notes, notes in the form of a poem. I didn’t realize what I was doing until I was halfway down the page. It’s not an understatement to say I was surprised; stunned, in fact. I began listening in earnest, not to what was being said but how it was being said.


To continue reading, and join the the Poetry at Work Day celebration, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.

No comments: