Wednesday, August 23, 2017

A narrative orphan becomes a favorite child


I’m writing a fiction series. Two books have been published. The fourth has been sitting in manuscript form, some 70,000 words, for quite some time. There was too big of a story gap between No. 2 and No. 4, so I couldn’t simply skip the third manuscript and cover it with some narrative filler or explanation in the fourth. The gap demanded a complete novel.

Ideas weren’t the problem; my brain was seething with them. Neither were plot developments, new characters, and new conflicts. Perhaps I had too many possibilities.

The problem was how to tie it all together.

I tried several approaches, and not one worked, or worked well. The more I floundered with manuscript No. 3, the louder the No. 4 manuscript became, like a siren song enticing me into its pages.

To continue reading, please see my post today at the American Christian Fiction Writers blog.


Photograph by Jacob Walti via Unsplash. Used with permission.

No comments: