Sunday, September 8, 2024

Who, exactly?


After Luke 10:25-37
 

An, perhaps the, eternal question:

who, exactly is my neighbor?

The one who lives next door?

The one who sits near me

at work? My cousin?

My brother? My own family?

 

Who is my neighbor?

One can hear the smugness,

the self-satisfaction,

the self-justification

behind the question.

 

The answer was, is,

Unexpected: your neighbor

is also the one you despise,

the one you disdain,

the one you consider

an enemy, the one

who’s hurt you,

the one who’s betrayed

you. It’s the last person

in the world you think

you should love.

 

Photograph by Engin Akyurt via Unsplash. Used with permission.


Some Sunday Readings

 

The Marvelous Mundane – Steven Lee at Desiring God.

 

4 Reasons You Might Think the Bible is Boring – Mitch Chase at The Gospel Coalition.

 

1 comment:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Being a neighbor as Jesus would have us be is NOT an easy task, Glynn. Such a thoughtful poem! Blessings!