Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Two Short Story Collections Well Worth Reading




My interest in reading, and writing, short stories has been growing for years. It started with the five Dancing Priest novels, which provided an outlet for sections that were cut, or exploring ideas that were good in themselves but didn’t fit the larger story. In some cases, they were small spinoffs from that larger story. A few have appeared online; most have not. 

But I found myself becoming increasingly interested in the short form of writing fiction. I’ve written several for the Cultivating Project. Recently, I began participating in a short story writing project, a simple, self-reporting tally every week of stories and word count (more on that next week).

 

I’ve also spent more time reading short story collections. Two recent ones that were well worth the time, more than worth the time, in fact, are Here It Snows in June by Eric Cyr and 13 Short Stories of Longing by Adam Nettesheim


To continue reading, please see my post today at Dancing Priest.


Some Wednesday Readings

 

Flannery O’Connor’s Hollow Men – Mitchell Kalpakgian at The Imaginative Conservative.

 

The Great Books for You and for Me – Nadya Williams at Mere Orthodoxy.

 

Dante’s Global Vision: Seeing & Being Seen in the Divine Comedy – Peter Kalkavage at The Imaginative Conservative.

 

The meaning of Ceuta – Jack Davey at The Critic Magazine.

 

The Drawing Rooms of Old London – Spitalfields Life.

No comments: