Saturday, April 18, 2009

Stories in Real Life

This Saturday morning, I spent two hours at my church, listening to the Rev. Scotty Smith of Christ Community Church in Franklin, Tenn. Rev. Smith is visiting our church this weekend as the main speaker for Mission Sunday.

I was part of a group of church elders, deacons, pastors and staff who had the opportunity to listen to Rev. Smith speak about leaders as the main mission field and chief repenters in the church. I sipped my coffee and listened.

He told stories about his life and his walk. Quiet stories. Powerful stories. Familiar stories. As he talked, I began to recognize my own stories. Then I began to notice others quietly and unobtrusively wiping tears from their eyes. Like I was. After a while I gave up and let the tears go.

He's written several books, like The Reign of Grace: The Delights and Demands of God's Love and Objects of His Affection: Coming Alive to the Compelling Love of God. He's also written books with singer/songwriters Michael Card and Steven Curtis Chapman.

He was Rev. Smith before he began to talk. He was Scotty by the time he finished. And I was shattered. I felt the brokenness in my life, and how God uses it for His own purposes. And how he heals it. What Scotty said and how he said it was a pointed reminder to me of how important stories are in our lives. In my life.

No comments: