Friday, March 19, 2010

It All Started with "Sky Blue"

It’s been a year since I started blogging. On March 19, 2009, I opened a Blogger account and set up a blog, with my first post called A Life-Changing Novel. The novel in question was Sky Blue by Travis Thrasher. That was where it started – with a novel I really enjoyed. The post explains why.

That was one year and 297 blog posts ago. I still think Sky Blue was one of the best books I read last year.

The blog didn’t just happen. It started with me posting book reviews on Amazon, and doing research on the authors and the books for the reviews. And then came the blog, followed closely by me signing up with Facebook and Twitter. The first person who signed up to follow my blog was suspense writer Mike Dellosso. I think he was being kind, but it was a huge boost at the time.

And what happened was this:

I started writing poetry.

I started doing guest blogging.

I’m co-editing an online poetry journal and participating in poetry jams.

I found incredible writers, and new authors to read and new poets to recite.

I wandered into The High Calling Blogs, and now publish articles there, mostly about work.

I started writing articles twice a month for The Christian Manifesto, mostly about culture.

But the most important thing that happened was that I met all kinds of new friends online, and became part of both large communities and smaller ones within the larger.

And it all started with Sky Blue.

13 comments:

Laura said...

That is one special book to lead to all this. Congratulations on your anniversary, Glynn. We are the better for your being here.

Russell Holloway said...

Woot! Woot! Congrats on one year!

S. Etole said...

The sky's the limit ... I know I've been blessed by your blog.

jasonS said...

Congrats on a year of blogging! It's so amazing what God can do with our offerings, right? Blessings to you, Glynn. You are a great blessing to me.

Jason

Kathleen Overby said...

Um, 0 to 90. Cream does rise. Always.

Maureen said...

Coming here refreshes, teaches, collects, restores, humors, lets in light, and so much more. To call you my friend is to be honored.

Congratulations on a wonderful year!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for what you have given of yourself.
You have been a part of my life and lives of many others, and have made a difference with your kindness and relating through all these media.

God's LOve to you.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story, Glynn. Happy blogiversary... and many more!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful how the events and choices of life weave together when we look back. God displays His ability in the past and uses that knowledge to help us become ever more trusting as we spill over the edge of the future.

Linda Worden said...

Reading your encouragement and finding your writing has given me a definite lift today! Lots of interruptions can sap time and resolve but you seem to be persevering with your writing. Thanks for taking time to respond with your comment on my recent post.

L.L. Barkat said...

Happy 1st Birthday! :)

How glad I am that you liked that novel. See what it started? :)

Billy Coffey said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, Glynn. I'm blessed through your words and wisdom.

katdish said...

(Smiles) I'm very glad our bloggy paths crossed. You are a great writer and a wonderful encourager.