Thursday, September 16, 2010

Picture Frames, Page Views and RAP

Time for another exciting edition of Pleasantly Disturbed Thursdays, led by the famous traveler and beach aficionado Duane Scott.

For my birthday, my son and daughter-in-law (parents of Cameron!) gave me one of those Kodak digitial picture frames, with a preloaded disk of 200+ photographs. About half of them are photos of Cameron; the rest are photos of their wedding, pictures of my son as a baby and little boy, and family. And there’s one of me dancing with my daughter-in-law at the wedding. We call it the “Dad rocks out” photo, which will not be making an appearance on this blog. The digital frame is totally distracting. I love it.

I stumbled upon Stumble Upon Tuesday. I was vaguely interested in it and knew something about this post-sharing application. But then someone inserted a link to my poem “The brother who loves him” and page visits skyrocketed. When I last checked, it had received almost 500 visits, making it the most visited blog post I’ve ever done. I don’t know who did it or exactly how they linked it – but my thanks to them. (It’s also the most commented-upon post I’ve ever done.)

If you haven’t had a chance to check out One Stop Poetry, you should. Each Wednesday, there’s a “One Shot Wednesday” for linking a poem you’ve posted on your own blog. There’s some remarkable poetry to check out in all the links.

Friday, for the High Calling Blogs, I’m subbing for L.L. Barkat for coordinating the next installment of the Random Act of Poetry (RAP). What happens is that you provide a prompt, people write poems and send you the links, and then you pull together an article that features one or two of them. My prompt is based on something that happened to me last week on Twitter – I tweeted someone’s Poem of the Day (“Second Coming” by William Butler Yeats) and someone whom I never heard of before took me to the tweeting woodshed for publicizing the poems of dead people. I am not making this up. So stop by HCB tomorrow afternoon and check it out.

Finally, I have a new nap partner. At least until he starts walking.


Photograph by Janet Young. Used with permission.

15 comments:

Maureen said...

Looking forward to reading the RAP prompt.

I signed onto Stumble at least a year ago but haven't posted there. I'd heard it was a hit generator and your experience bears that out.

You don't look like you are napping!

As always, enjoyed the read and the new picture of Cameron.

Kathleen Overby said...

Smilin'

Robin Arnold said...

Kiss those baby toes for me. It's still disturbing to me there's someone on the planet who doesn't doesn't get the idea of reading where we came from from people who went before. And maybe give that baby a kiss on top of his head too.

Kelly Sauer said...

Awwh! What a picture! He is adorable!

Somebody took you to the tweeting woodshed for publicizing poetry from a dead poet? I'm dying for the story!

Louise Gallagher said...

The things I learn when I visit here!

Even on a PDT you're thoughts are invigorating.

Anonymous said...

will have a look at the rap.

what a cool b-day gift.

500?!!!

and thank Janet for such
a wonderful photo to end off
your post.

Place a kiss on the sweet baby's head.

gotta run!

SimplyDarlene said...

You got a whoopin' behind the woodshed? And this will be part of your RAP prompt? Hmmm.

You could share just the feet portion of the "dads rock out" photograph...

Blessings.

SimplyDarlene said...

oops, "dad rocks out"--had a squirrelly "s" in my first comment!

HisFireFly said...

I hope to join in RAP tomorrow.. for some reason the Lord continues to lead me back into poetry..

What a peaceful picture you share.. love personified!

Claudia said...

read "the brother who loves him" and - it's amazing - no - it's soul-touching - and more - love it!

i had also some stumble upon traffic on my blog - sometimes around 150 hits a day - but never found out exactly how that happened. think i have to check out the stumble upon website…
thanks glynn for sharing this
you seem always to be all over the place and gather and spread lots of valuable information
bTW - like the pic with your new nap partner…smiles

Duane Scott said...

Wow. Good for you. I'm not smart enough to figure out StumbleUpon. When you do, let me know and I'll let you teach me.

And I'd love to "Stumble" most of your posts if I just knew how.

And I know what that poem was read over 500 times. It was good. Really good.

H. Gillham said...

By the time I got to read your poem, Glynn, you had 52 comments. I was like -- wow, wow, wow, and as usual, I would have just been saying "ditto" anyway.

Babies! I just stare at them in all of their newness.

Laura said...

I read your post earlier at work, Glynn, and not only would our filter system not let me comment, but it blocked out this gorgeous picture! I knew I would have to return to get a gander at your young man. I'm so glad I did. Could you just stare at that little face for hours?

He's just beautiful.

Linda said...

I really do like these thurday visits - such fun!
Isn't it exciting to have all those visits Glynn? I'm so glad.
That was just a perfect birthday present (from one grandparent to another). And the picture of you and that precious bundle is priceless!

Anne Lang Bundy said...

That photo ...
WAY
TOO
PRECIOUS!

I'm SO glad you shared it!