Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On this occasion


She came to me young,
and lovely, she did, carrying
a beauty she’d deny,
a beauty of face, yes,
but more than that,
a beauty of form,
a beauty of spirit,
and soul. She taught me
to be loved, to be honored,
to be cherished, becoming
the best part of me, more
than a rib, more
than a side, more
than the oxygen I breathe,
a heart, my heart, and I am
still struck dumb in wonder.

Today is my wife’s birthday. She is 20 going on 21, the same age as when we met. And she is beautiful.

Photograph: Janet Young holding her second grandson Caden Young, May 2012.

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday to Janet!

Lovely poem for your lovely bride, Glynn.

JofIndia said...

What a tribute..

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Happy Birthday to your wife! I'm so happy for you Glynn : ) This is a beautiful gift for her.

S. Etole said...

Oh, my ... this brings tears to my eyes ... for both of you. Birthday blessings to your wife.

Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely wife. This is a precious gift Glynn.

Anonymous said...

lovely poem....
but, you still need to get cake :-)

Tulika Verma said...

A beautiful picture and a beautiful poem! Happy Birthday to your wife! :)

diana said...

You are right - she is. Thanks for this lovely birthday poem, Glynn. I think I might believe I had died and gone to heaven if ever I received such a lovely gift...
but Nance is right - you still need to get cake. :>) (or whatever treat she prefers...)

H. Gillham said...

*claps*

Loveliness all around in that photo -- congratulations on your second grandson and happy birthday to the wife who puts up with you. :-)