Friday, January 25, 2013

Pleasantly Disturbed Friday



It’s been a while since I gathered up my “notes to self” and Post-Its and what-not, and had a Pleasantly Disturbed Friday.

The picture above is none other than Roller (Caden) (because he likes to roll) and Cameron (Dancer) (because he likes to dance). Cameron, unbeknownst to his mother, was hiding in Caden’s pop-up bed. Mom got a real surprise, and Caden, who was supposed to have been sleeping, remained unflappable when Cameron yelled.

We had the opportunity to babysit them last Saturday. Grandpa had a ball.

I mentioned last weekend that we had seen Les Miserables, the movie. I still have the scenes and music running through my head. And I’m still amazed at the quality of the singing by actors I didn’t know could sing. A friend at work told me all of the songs were recorded live, on the set and not in a recording studio, which, if true, makes the singing all the more remarkable.

Current reading: Hurt, by Travis Thrasher, the final installment in the four-volume Solitary series. He’s managed to maintain and increase the momentum of this young-adult-but-older-adults-will-like-it-too story.

Next up on the reading list: an advanced reading copy of The Crystal Scepter by C.S. Lakin, another volume in the Gates of Heaven series. These are the books that helped convince me to read fantasy again. The book will be published Feb. 15.

And on the Can’t-Wait-to-Read List is Adam Blumer’s The Tenth Plague. Adam’s first book, Fatal Illusions, was one suspenseful read. His new one will published as an e-book next Tuesday. (Adam is the editor who slogged through both of my novels, and he did a wonderful job.)

My Novel News: My two novels have been getting some attention. Pastor Ron Edmondson of Immanuel Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky, called Dancing Priest one of the best descriptions of relationship evangelism he’d come across; I did a guest post for his blog on where the novel came from. And the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a “Penned in St. Louis” about A Light Shining.

My Not-Novel News: It’s early in the process, but I’ve signed a contract with another publisher for a non-fiction book. I’m being deliberately vague; we’ve agreed on the idea and I’m working on a very extended outline, which will have to be accepted and then turned into a draft. If all goes well, it will be published late in 2013.

Finally, a picture of Roller (Caden) that I absolutely love. Taken by my daughter-in-law, it shows him peering around the corner of the sofa. Did I mention that I love having grandchildren?


10 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Great news, Glynn! And, the babies are just too cute! There's nothing like being a grandparent.
Blessings!

Patricia said...

Congratulations! {and I'm smitten over my grandlittles, too}

S. Etole said...

Expecting a new little grandson here around the end of March. Yours are adorable.

And congratulations on the new book.

SimplyDarlene said...

new novel new novel new novel new novel new novel new novel - - that is BIG news!

yay for your readers.

oh, the kiddos are cute too. ;-)

blessings.

David Rupert said...

I'm excited to hear about the nonfiction book Glynn. That's great news.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on the contract news.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Glynn! Congratulations on the contract. And I'm so happy to hear about all the positive press on your books.

Anonymous said...

faith, fiction, friends,
nonfiction and grandkids :-)

diana said...

I'm really interested to know more about this non-fiction project - what fun. And congratulations. But special kudos on having such adorable grandsons. Oh, my! Such cutie pies. And there truly is nothing like being a grandparent, is there?

Megan Willome said...

Congrats on the new book!

And speaking of Les Mis, I was especially impressed with Eddie Redmayne, who I'd just seen in "My Week With Marliyn." He actually made me like Marius, which I didn't think was possible.