Friday, October 28, 2011

She asks



The words slip
from her ruby lips
like small, perfect
pearls: prove your
love; bring me
cashmere.

I have armies march,
wars waged,
diplomats barter,
thieves steal,
thousands, tens
of thousands die.

I bring her
proof of my love.
And she stares.
I asked, she said,
for cashmere;
not Kashmir.

L.L. Barkat heard Thursday from an advertising agency in Berlin, who ran across one of our TweetSpeak poetry jam poems on cashmere – and wants to use it in an advertisement or catalog. And they’re interested in poems about cashmere. So I got inspired. I’m not sure if this is exactly what they’re looking for, however. Check the T.S. Poetry Press Facebook page to see if anyone else got lured into writing a cashmere poem.

Painting: Cashmere by John Singer Sargent (1908); in the collection of Bill Gates. The painting is of Singer’s niece, wearing a cashmere shawl in nine different poses. 

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

You sleigh me. :)

Kathleen Overby said...

iLove cashmere. It is never too cold. It is never too hot. It is always just right, like the baby bear's porridge. Year round.

L.L. Barkat said...

Glynn! this is terrific; the beginning so romantic, the twist at the end. You did get... inspired :)

Connie said...

Ha! On the first day of the prompt, my true love gave to me...one Kashmir goat...

JofIndia said...

Still smiling!

Anonymous said...

Never...
i say NEVER
let a man
go
shopping for you.

Patricia said...

Clever. Very clever.

Louise Gallagher said...

I'm wearing a purple cashmere wrap as I type.

And you are clever. Very clever!

diana said...

Loved this, Glynn. So well done. And I third the 'clever, very clever' motion. Thanks.

Cindee Snider Re said...

Love the twist woven into your final lines! And I add my voice to the chorus, "Clever, very clever!"

Michael Dodaro said...

This poem has been with all day. It's engaging and funny and terrifying all at the same time. It dramatizes how differently men and women think.