Thursday, January 5, 2012

And the word is...


I’ve been seeing numerous posts about “one word” – one word to describe your hopes and plans for 2012, or what’s on your heart for 2012. It sounds sort of New Year’s resolution-ish to me, and I don’t do resolutions (since I know how well I keep them).

But there’s a word that comes to mind.

The year 2011, as most years do, brought a lot of change – a major remodeling of our home; watching my grandson start walking and learning of a second grandson on the way; our youngest moving to Florida; my back problems which sidelined biking, travel and a lot of other things; and publication of my book – to mention only a few.

It was a lot of activity, but in my mind it was a lot of slowing down, and mostly because of my back. There were a lot of things I couldn’t do that were part of normal daily life (like putting up the Christmas lights, or gardening). I had to depend upon others to do things that I usually did without thinking. I had to plan things like the best time to leave for a work meeting in the building next door to mine.

My sleep patterns changed. Instead of going to bed at 11:30 or midnight, I was going to be bed at 10, or 10:30 at the latest. Things slowed down. And when things slow down, you have more time to think, consider and reflect. And more time to plan.

I’m already seeing how this year will shape up, and shape me. I know some things that are coming – some changes in what I do online (more on that in a few days), what’s going to happen with my writing, and family changes. As frustrating as last year was, I see it for what it was – a year to slow down and renew.

I see what’s coming for 2012, with my writing, my faith, my family and my work.

And the word is grow.


Over at Faith Barista, Bonnie Gray is asking what one word has God laid on your heart for 2012. To see other posts, please visit Faith Barista.

13 comments:

Michael said...

And I cannot wait to see what's growing.

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

I think my word is blossom. I've been diligently working and through all of last year's turmoil the Lord pulled some of my gifts and talents together. i hope to blossom.

Also hope to see another book from you!

Megan Willome said...

I think my 2012 word is "widen." I'm scared to death.

Happy growing, Glynn.

Daniel Dydek said...

I hope so too, Karen, for both of us. Happy New Year to all, and whatever our words, resolutions, promises and plans, may we all be blessed....before December 21 ^_^

Louise Gallagher said...

What a treat to be able to watch your dreams grow... Looking forward to what is growing for you.

My word is Suppleness - I never know it's significance until after a long period of discernment but it already has meaning for me.

Anonymous said...

now you have me all curious...

Maureen said...

I've participated in the word for the new year activity at Abbey of the Arts, and now for the third time. I hadn't expected to hear the word "forge" but it turns out that the word's meaning of having to make the way forward by effort is exactly what 2012 has in store for me. A part of my life is ending and making my way forward for the year's 366 days is going to take all the effort I can make.

Tracy Krauss said...

I'm enjoying this 'one word' phenomenon and 'grow' is a great choice. (Mine is 'purpose') Blessings in the new year

S. Etole said...

You've certainly encouraged all of us to grow through your affirming words. Hope that back problem is soon resolved.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Glynn. Look forward to seeing what unfolds for you next year. I haven't been overly foucsed on a "one-word' thing this year, either. But it quickly came to mind: "Savor"

Jerry said...

I think my word is revision...and not simply writing related. Re-vision. By the way, I get your book on the 10th!...

caryjo said...

Yes, things change with time. Adjusting occurs time after another after another. At least that's been what's been a challenge to us for the past 3 years. AND God has been very kind to us and very creative re: filling those gaps. So happy for you for the gifts you've gained in following our Father.

Bonnie Gray said...

Dear Glynn!

I browse through your recent postings and wondered... is your new work your writing of the sequel to "Dancing Priest"? ... I've been such an ostrich with my head in the sand (except peeping out for the faith jams), I missed it's first debut! Congratulations! I love your writing and now more can savor your gift.