Sunday, September 1, 2013

The man in the pew


The man in the pew
in front of me has
a twisted collar, and
he’s unaware of it,
surely, or he would
fix it, surely, or if he
does know, then, surely,
there must be a point
to it, since no one
deliberately twists
a shot collar, surely,
do they? I barely resist
the temptation to straighten
it, and I resist the temptation
to lean forward and tell him
his collar was twisted. Wasn’t
the sermon on the Good Samaritan?



Photograph by Junior Libby via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

3 comments:

JofIndia said...

Wonderful, Glynn...
You bring to mind the countless times when my attention has wandered from the homily to the person sitting in front of me...

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I love this one.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to hear a thought process...