Thursday, July 15, 2010

Another Episode of Pleasantly and Randomly Disturbed Thursdays


That Duane Scott – he’s out West somewhere but we’re still doing pleasantly (and randomly) disturbed Thursdays. But he has a cool new button (included in this post) that he actually had a friend design. We’re going uptown.

I’ve been reading, or trying to read, Imperfect Birds, the new novel by Anne Lamott. I really like her writing, but I’m having trouble with this one. I struggled through the first chapter. It’s well written, like all of her novels and non-fiction, but I don’t think I was ready for the graphic descriptions about the teenage girl in the story. OK, so I’m something of a prude. I’m setting it aside for now; I’ll eventually get back to it.

Delight and Glory and Oddity and Light” is a blog I follow closely and regularly. I don’t know the identity of the person who does it, but I love the poetry he posts there (and it is a “he”). He goes by the name of Justinian, as in the Roman emperor. The blog has been silent for the past week or so (vacation?), and then burst forth Wednesday with two new poems. One of the things he’s been doing is writing a saga of a knight or warrior named Taliessin, and one of the poems yesterday was a new one on the Taliessin series. Justinian also has another blog, Codex Justinianus, where he posts regularly about Orthodox saints, history and theology. It's pretty cool.

At my house, we’re trying to plot out when we’re going to work some vacation in. And where we might be going. We likely be visiting our moms sometime this fall.

In the post previous to this one, I announced a giveaway of Marcus Goodyear’s Barbies at Communion: and other poems.” Just drop a name, a comment or whatever you’d like in the comment box, and you’re eligible for the random drawing of a name. And you can read an interview with Marcus over at TweetSpeak Poetry. I’m a fan, and Marcus writes some cool stuff.

Last night we watched episode 2, season 7 of the BBC’s “M1-5,” which is called “Spooks” (or spies) in the U.K. We’ve been getting this on Netflix, and we’ve been hooked since watching the first season (10 episodes per season means we’ve now finished #62). It’s a terrific show, even if you’re on the edge of your seat the whole time, and even if they do manage to kill off the leading actors on a regular basis.

Grandson Cameron turned four months on Sunday, and we got to babysit while his parents went looking at houses.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that not wanting to read graphic descriptions of a teenage girl (or anyone else for that matter, or any act they might choose to engage in) makes you a prude.

Of course, it's possible that I'm a bit of a prude myself.

But when you pull out the filter of Philippians 4:8, I think maybe it's better to err on the side of prudishness. :)

And as always, you grandson is adorable. I don't personally think he needs a shirt that says "love me" because I don't think Grandma and Grandpa can help themselves. :)

Anonymous said...

this is very "cheeto"!

when it comes to pleasantly and randomly disturbed thrusdays...it means "cool".

Maureen said...

Love the badge!

In every new image, Cameron is just cuter than before.

Re Imperfect Birds: I was looking forward to reading it, especially having had Lamott speak. I haven't got far with it either. It's not that I think of myself as prudish. Nothing in it particularly bothers me. I think the story just isn't that interesting to me. I'm reading a much more fascinating novel, "Night Train to Lisbon".

There, my own random thoughts.

Maureen said...

I should have written, "... having heard Lamott speak". Random thought got away from me. Or was it Freudian?

Wendy said...

Okay, really curious about that BBC program now... Gonna have to check Netflix.

HisFireFly said...

Thanks for pouring out a bit of randomness today!

katdish said...

Speaking of being prudish (or not), I just finished reading The Lovely Bones. It's the story of a teenage girl who was killed, and looks down on her family and friends from her section of heaven. It was very well written, but I really hated the way some things were handled. I don't want to give the story away, so that's all I'll say, but some things in that book I felt like were simply put there to make it more commercially successful. That was disappointing. And this was a random comment. Cameron's a cutie.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Cameron is already four months old! Time flies ...

I'm so very happy for you that you see so much of him, Glynn. :D

Duane Scott said...

Yes. We are uptown.

You and I.

This post was an uptown post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for your kind words on my work, not just at DGOL but also the Codex blog! I check your blog here with great frequency as well, and I am always pleasantly astonished by the quality stuff you post. I'm glad that Phoenix-KaRenee connected us. Your encouragement (and praise!) of the Taliessin poems has been a great deal of the reason why they keep getting posted. Most people that have read parts of my Taliessin stuff...well, do not find it as enjoyable as you do. Thanks again, Glynn! Dominus tecum!