Sunday, July 25, 2010

Jacob's Blessing

From unexpected depths
came unexpected life,
harmed and damaged as
measured by a man but
beautiful still as
imagined by God.

To imagine beauty
from brokenness is
to create an idea,
a song, a symphony,
a verse, a prayer,
a story, a life.

Jacob wrestled in creation,
the lifting of his heart always
pointing upward, becoming
a vessel, the vessel of blessing
to those who listen,
to those who hear.


I’ve been reading Parting the Waters by Jeanne Damoff, the story of the hear-drowning of her son Jacob. I’ll have more on the book later this week. But this poem started yesterday and wouldn’t let go. It still won’t.

Photograph: Fern on white stone by Nancy Rosback. Used with permission.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am
brought
to stillness

Unknown said...

Glynn...I just felt a hush come over my soul...

What an beautiful poem.

Jay

Linda said...

This is so moving Glynn. I especially love the second stanza. Beauty from brokenness. What a glorious thought.

Jeanne Damoff said...

I've started this comment at least four times, but it never comes close to what I want to say. Layers of gratitude, demanding and yet defying speech as they rise, leaving me full of wordless expression, twice blessed in Jacob's blessing.

So glad the poem wouldn't let go. So glad it still won't.

Until words find me, thank you.

Maureen said...

Quietly powerful words.

katdish said...

What a beautiful tribute to Jacob's story. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on Parting the Waters.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Somehow lost my comment, and will try again. :) Good words,Glynn, and nice artistry by Nancy. Yes. Thanks!

S. Etole said...

That leaves me quieted and awed ...

Louise Gallagher said...

Yes. Stillness.

Thank you.

Sandra Heska King said...

I'm so glad I didn't miss this. Hushed.

Kelly Sauer said...

Yes, he was a vessel. I had not thought of him in this way before, but it is perfect.

I am a vessel too.