Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Giving Away "Barbies"

I’m an unabashed fan of Barbies at Communion: and other poems by Marcus Goodyear. I’ve got the book’s badge over on the supper right of this site, and I’ve now posted an interview with the poet himself over at TweetSpeak Poetry. He talks in detail about how he come to love and write poetry, some of his own background, and how he sees the poetry in the everyday.

And here’s an example of that “poetry in the everyday:"

"Epiphany" by Marcus Goodyear

We put our Jesus in the attic
after Christmas, buried in boxes
between plastic wreaths and cheap lights.
I rarely think about the idle figure
when I fetch luggage for business trips.
Near the boxes, the space is a maze
of pipes wrapped in thin foam, too thin
for January freezes when water reminds us
who is in charge. So here I am,
my breath like a pillar of cloud.
When the pipes crack, the water sprays.
There is no controlling this flood
and the damage it causes, soaking
through our Christmas, baptizing Santas,
Rudolphs, wreaths and every single Jesus.

I like this poetry so much that I’m giving away a copy (the print version). All you need to do is drop a comment – your name, a say-hey, anything you’d like – in the comment box by Wednesday, July 21 at 8 p.m. A name will be selected at random (I ask my wife to pick a number) (if she’s read the comments, then I’ll ask my next-door neighbor) and then posted/contacted next Wednesday night. That’s all you need to do.

And if your name isn’t selected, you should buy this book of poems. (I’ve never said that in a review before, but I’m saying it now.)

11 comments:

Eileen Burmeister said...

I love it! (Does that qualify as a "comment" Glynn?) she asked hopefully.

HisFireFly said...

Glynn:

I would love to read this book.

I have been away from poetry for many, many years, both reading and writing it. God appears to be leading me back.

Kelly Sauer said...

I just got to God in th Yard - give me time!

Deidra said...

Are you saying that your next-door neighbor doesn't read the comments?

Laura said...

I love Marcus's poetry. Epiphany is one of my favorites. You don't have to enter me since I already have a copy, but I'm heading over to read that interview right now.

Maureen said...

Another fun one. . . Any chance there will be a personal John Hancock on it?

Kathleen Overby said...

I took God in the Yard and Barbie's at Communion on vacation last month. Loved them. I especially liked one in the collection that Marcus almost left out! I asked Luci Shaw if she knew Marcus, because she mentioned Laity Lodge today-she smiled a wide yes. I am extremely grateful you all introduced awakened me to poetry. My world has kaleidoscoped....... I'm
a grateful, baby pink, poet.

Anonymous said...

Glynn - I've got my copy already. It's great stuff, and has inspired me in my own writing. (He is REALLY good!)

Great interview, btw, over at Tweetspeak.

SimplyDarlene said...

I would like to sit the Barbie book up next to my copy of InsideOut, just to see how they might get along with one another. ;-)

Blessings.

Megan Willome said...

I'm dropping my name in the ol' digital hat.

Marcus made me feel great when we met to discuss my writing back in January. I'd brought my professional stuff, but he was only interested in my poetry.

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Any chance to read the words of "Goodyear"! :)