Wednesday, March 1, 2023

An Atlas and a Map of the Civil War


I like maps. In fact, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t like maps. While they were (and are) abstract in their own way, they also make what they depict manageable and understandable. They also help you find your way to places you’ve never been. When I use a map, I study it, commit major roads and streets to memory, and then go. 

And then there’s history.

 

I may be one of the few people who get excited to receive a Civil War atlas as a Christmas present. But I did, and I was.

 

And it wasn’t only an atlas.

 

The Atlas of the Civil War is, as its name implies, a collection of maps. But it’s also a National Geographic publication, which means your get far more than the maps and chunks of text about them. It’s written by author Stephen Hyslop, who’s published among other historical works, National Geographic’s Eyewitness to the Civil War. It’s edited by Neil Kagan, whose firm specializes in illustrated books. And it includes an introduction by Civil War historian Harris Andrews.


To continue reading, please see my post today at Dancing Priest

No comments: