Sunday, August 27, 2023

They listen and heed


After Jonah 3
 

I got it. I understood

what you wanted me

to do. I prayed

forgiveness, I prayed

obedience, I prayed

acceptance. You heard,

and I learned what it

meant to be vomited

by a fish.

I listened (finally).

I heeded (finally).

I went to the city.

I spoke what you told

me to say.

They listened.

They heeded.

They repented.

You relented.

 

Photograph by Kevin Bosc via Unsplash. Used with permission.


Some Sunday Readings

 

Silence – poem by Kathleen at The Course of Our Seasons.

 

We Were a Peculiar People Once: Reflections of an Old-Time Baptist by David Lyle Jeffrey – reviewed by Casey Spinks at Front Porch Republic. 

 

Should You Head Back to School at a Seminary? – Joshua Nangle at the Institute for Faith, Work, & Religion.

 

Lessons from the Sky – poem by Nathaniel Todd McKee at Society of Classical Poets.

2 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

This poem truly spoke to my heart today, Glynn.
Blessings!

Glynn said...

Martha, thank you!