Wednesday, April 3, 2024

The Major Lesson of Five Decades of Writing


Looking back at five decades of writing, I can say with certainty the major lesson I’ve learned. I was reminded of it while I was reading Writing Better Fiction by Harvey Stanbrough. This is about as no-nonsense, straightforward, this-is-how-it-is discussion of writing that I’ve ever come across. And most of it applies to non-fiction as well as fiction. 

In other words, I recognize what he talks about. Fully recognize it.

 

The major lesson: Writers write, no matter what.

 

You may be sick. You may have 67 other priorities and pressing demands. You may stare dully at a blank page or screen without having a single thing to put down. You may hear the chorus of constant critics, including your own internal voices. You may watch others write something seemingly effortlessly and wonder why that never happens to you. Twice a day might be tempted to pack it all in and walk away, forever.


To continuing reading, please see my post today at Dancing Priest.


Photograph by Nik Shuliahin via Unsplash. Used with permission.


Some Wednesday Readings

 

Homeschooling, Luddite Style – Nadya Williams at Mere Orthodoxy.

 

“I Wouldn’t Take Nothing for It”: An Appreciation of Love for the Land – Robert Corban at Front Porch Republic.

 

Simple is Hard: Two short poems by A.E. Housman – Joseph Bottum at Pomes Ancient and Modern.

 

For the month of April, The Beautiful Madness of Martin Bonham by Robert Hudson is on sale for 99 cents. You can read my review here.

No comments: