Saturday, June 8, 2013

Reflection in polished glass


The child in the mirror spoke
back to me, responding
to a question I’d forgotten;
he didn’t remember the answer
to the question I’d forgotten
and so we stared into the mirror,
realizing each victory contains
the seeds of defeat, and each defeat
contains the seeds of hope.
I looked to the sun, risen,
and understand the contradiction.

Over at dVerse Poets, the Saturday poetry prompt is about twins, or doubles, or two of a kind. Take a look and see what others write.


Photograph by George Hodan via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The child in the mirror is a wonderful opening for a poem and the sun risen a wonderful close - a very pretty poem that is very subtly done - works really well. Thanks. k.

Anonymous said...

A lovely poem to express understanding of contradiction.

Brian Miller said...

each defeat a seed of hope....ha, i like that section there glynn....there is wisdom there...the ways above this world dont always make sense here...

brudberg said...

I like how you talk about the opposites especially on victory and defeat. Tight and truthful

J Cosmo Newbery said...

But it is the contradictions that make life interesting.

Jerry said...

A childlike heart never gives up or in even when questions and answers seem like a house of mirrors. The poem gives me pause. Nice.

Truedessa said...

The child in the mirror..a great opening line sets the mood for the write..contrast within the lines.

Troy said...

I especially like this line, Glynn:

he didn’t remember the answer
to the question I’d forgotten

Thanks for this!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

"I look to the sun (son?), risen . . ." Such hope in that phrase, Glynn. A beautiful poem, indeed!