Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wordsworth was right


I’m older now, older
than I ever imagined
myself to be, my mind
stuck in neutral at nineteen
and my body demonstrating
daily how ridiculous
that notion is, but I’m
older now, older than I ever
imagined myself to be, and
I see so much that I only
knew before, understanding
how much was created
in the first ten years.
Wordsworth was right, but
it takes too long to grasp
his truth, and realize our youth
is more alive now than it was
when we lived it.


Photograph by Petr Kratochvil via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

7 comments:

Jerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerry said...

Last line is killer! I sometimes say youth is wasted on the young. Not Glynn "Young" of course. Excellent poem. Now direct me to the Wordsworth piece please.

Louise Gallagher said...

This is awesome Glynn -- you made me smile and nod my head and feel connected and oh so not alone in my aging body :)

Martha Jane Orlando said...

You are right on with this one, Glynn! When we stay young in heart and mind, it doesn't matter that our bodies age; we can see each day with freshness, expectation, and wonder.
Blessings, my friend!

diana said...

Love. A lot.

Miz Liz said...

Oh, wow, you hit it smack dab on target. Take it not only from Master W. but from a tweeting 76 year old great grand. Found you through Martha Orlando.

H. Gillham said...

I love it.

I can't believe how you nail the place where my head is --- older, but looking anew.

:-)