Friday, July 14, 2023

She laughs


After Hebrews 11:1-3, 11-12
 

She laughs when 

she hears the promise:

What? Pregnant 

at my age? Who are

you kidding? I’m old,

I’m barren, I’m dried

up and dried out. 

My time to bear

children is long past.

Don’t ridicule me

like that. It’s cruel

to say such things,

to even suggest I

might bear a child.

It’s outrageous to say

that. You don’t know

how long I prayed,

how long I begged and

pleaded. And now, 

the possibility long

gone, you sit there,

and you wonder why

I laugh.

 

Photograph by Ivana Cajina via Unsplash. Used with permission.


Some Friday Readings

 

Memoir and Remains of Robert Murray M’Cheyne: A Reader’s Guide to a Christian Classic – Jordan Stone at Desiring God.

 

The Language of the Birds – poem by Amy Nemecek at Kingdom Poets (D.S. Martin).

 

Paradise Dimmed: Are we losing the greatest poem in the English language? – Jaspreet Singh Boparai at The Spectator.

 

Better with Love – poem by Russel Winnick at Society of Classical Poets.

1 comment:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Afraid I would have laughed, too, Glynn, but I would want with all my heart to believe and trust God's Word.
Blessings!