This past Thursday was the 250th anniversary of the Battle of Brooklyn. The army of George Washington lost the battle – and the American Revolution was nearly strangled right at the very beginning. What saved Washington’s army was a group of soldiers known as the Maryland 400.
I own a Kindle, and I have a lot of books on it. I’ve also been paring back my library of physical books; some 400 have already made their way to a school library. But I do love holding a book in my hands while I read. Matthew Adams at Mining the Riches agrees, and he says some things are worth holding on to.
Have you ever wondered how people predicted the weather before we had Accu-Weather? Signs in the sky? Aching bones? Meteorology didn’t begin coming of age until the mid-nineteenth century, but people had been predicting the weather long before that. Becky Little at History takes a look at the various ways people used to figure out what was happening or going to happen with the weather.
Faith
The Best Argument for Christianity – Kelly Keller at Story Warren.
Christian Obedience in Two Words – Michael Kelley at Forward Progress.
Surprised by Silence – Matthew Rubenstein at Mere Orthodoxy.
America 250
The 21-Mile Circle: American Revolution Heritage Sites in the English Midlands – Steve Willis at Journal of the American Revolution.
Negotiating American Independence and Thwarting the Newburgh Conspiracy – Keli Holt at Just Enough History.
Poetry
Forming the Affections of Our Children – Paul Kearney at Front Porch Republic.
Chaucer Announces His Desire to Retire – poem by Paul Freeman at Society of Classical Poets.
“Farewell to Juliet,” poem by Wilfrid Scawen Blunt and “Don Juan,” (excerpt) by Lord Byron– Joseph Bottum at Poems Ancient and Modern.
Life and Culture
The Trap: A conspiracy theory – Paul Kingsnorth at The Abbey of Misrule.
Writing and Literature
Chesterton & the “Great Religious Genius” of Doctor Johnson – Joseph Pearce at The Imaginative Conservative.
British Stuff
Relics at St. Paul’s From Before the Fire – Spitalfields Life.
The England I Knew Is Gone – Carl Trueman at First Things Magazine.
The Farmers’ Choir – Britain’s Got Talent
Painting: Woman Reading, oil on canvas by Gabriel Metsu (1629-1667).

No comments:
Post a Comment