Saturday, October 8, 2011

Saturday Good Reads



Steve Jobs died, and I was one of the three bloggers who didn’t write about it. But I did read about it, and I watched the “lost” 1984 video of Jobs introducing the Macintosh.

A lot of friends went to the writer’s retreat at Laity Lodge in Texas, and The High Calling is assembling a list of all the blog posts about it. Below, you can read Kelly Sauer’s “Airplane Poems” and look at Patricia Spreng’s photos.

I find myself agreeing with Matt Appling, a young pastor (young enough to be my son), about the purpose of the church. And I came across “Friday photo” by Nancy Rosback that still has me mesmerized.

A lot of good stuff got posted this week.

Prose

When the seasons change around you” by Duane Scott at Scribing the Journey.

Is Your Church a Ministry or an Empire?” by Matt Appling at The Church of No People.

Opinions” by Greg Sullivan at Sippican Cottage.

Don’t tell me what to do” by Travis Thrasher at The Journey is Everything.

I should have mailed the letter” by David Rupert at Red-Letter Believers.

The perfect seasoning” by Kathy Richards at Katdish.

Seasons” by Nancy Rosback at “A Little Somethin.”

The story between the stories” and “Judge not” by Jason Vana.

Future Kevin” by Billy Coffey at What I Learned Today.

Poetry

Dead End Street” and “Rumors of War” by Tim Good at Photography by Tiwago.

Put Your Back into It” by Greg Sullivan at Sippican Cottage.

William Cullen Bryant” by D.S. Martin at Kingdom Poets.


Breaking and entering” by Ed Pilolla.

Liquid” and “Space in a Song” by Karen Eck at Karenee Art.

Autumn Equinox” by Maureen Doallas at Writing Without Paper.

When words are not enough” by Claire Burge.

Bullets” by D.C. Lutz at From the Middle.

August Evening” by Jim Schmotzer at Faithful Skeptic.

Paintings and Photographs

Ross Island Sand and Gravel,” oil on canvas by Randall David Tipton at Painter’s Process.

Looking for an Answer” by J of India at Neither Use Nor Ornament.

For the beauty of the hour – a thank you to new friends” by Patricia Spreng at Love Pats.

Trout Pond” by Steve Gravano at Take a Look Around.

Rear Window” by Susan Etole at Just…A Moment.


Rock Run Rookery” and “Driftwood Study” by Tim Good at Photography by Tiwago.

Friday Photo” by Nancy Rosback at A Little Somethin’.

Videos

Who Needs Classical Music?” by Justin Taylor at Between Two Worlds (including a TED video presentation by Benjamin Zander).

The Lost 1984 Video” by MAC Essentials. A Young Steve Jobs introduces the Macintosh.


Photograph: Parsley by Nancy Rosback. Used with permission.

8 comments:

Maureen said...

I think no one who has seen it can forget the Jobs video. Having had a Mac now for more than a year, I cannot go back to a PC.

Thank you for including "Autumn Equinox".

Brian Miller said...

nice to see wome great friends on that list...

we lost a brilliant mind there in steve....

Patricia said...

My mother always quoted someone by saying... "your kindness is exceeded only by your generosity and good looks!" (I googled it, to no avail.) I thought it fitting for you today. I've always enjoyed these links... thank you for including my pics. I somehow knew the retreat was not the same without you. But your good friends there captured my heart and I knew if they are your friends,you must be alright too. ;)

Jason Vana said...

Wow - thanks for the double mention Glynn!

Unknown said...

always a delight to find my name amongst these other treasures. thank you glynn.

enjoying the prose especially this week.

Unknown said...

i'm thinking travis' post is my favourite ... brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to be a part of your Saturday post.
:-)
thank you very much.

I clicked and read the post by Matt Appling, and after leaving a comment, figured i might as well make it into a post. It helped me to address the issue i keep running into, which is my desire for things to be all good and unbroken, and the need to be looking to Jesus.

S. Etole said...

Such excellent buffets you offer us. Thank you for including me here.