Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Poets and Poems: Luci Shaw and "The Generosity"


Something I’ve seen in my own family: The young look forward to see where they’re going: the old look backward to understand.

That thought keep rising in my mind as I read The Generosity: Poems, the latest collection published by Luci Shaw. If you’ve read any or her previous collections, like Harvesting FogScape, and What the Light Was Like, you know she always has an eye on the eternal – in nature, in life, and in people. Even when that sense of the eternal isn’t obvious, it’s always there.

The same is true for The Generosity, with its 92 poems on subjects as diverse as dandelions and dementia. She finds the eternal wherever she looks; perhaps it’s in the DNA of all living things and the molecular structure of non-thing things. Wherever it is, Shaw finds it.

To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.

No comments: