Tuesday, March 30, 2021

“Your Story, My Story” by Connie Palmen


Dutch author Connie Palmen has told an unexpected story. 

I’ve read some of the poetry written by English poet Ted Hughes (1930-1998) and American poet Sylvia Plath (1932-1963). I had not read any biographies of either poet. I know the basic facts of their lives – their marriage in 1956, Plath’s death by suicide in 1963 – but my knowledge was woefully incomplete. I knew that Hughes had been the British Poet Laureate for a time, and I had seen his memorial stone in the Poet’s Corner of Westminster Abbey.

 

At some point over the years, I’d come to understand that Plath had become something of a feminist icon. Related to this, Hughes was seen as something of a villain regarding his marriage to Plath and often blamed for her suicide. Her death would dog him for 35 years, until his own death. And suicide became something of a tragic theme in Hughes’ life – the woman he left Plath for committed suicide as well, and his and Plath’s son Nicholas committed suicide. 

 

To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.

No comments: