Wednesday, May 22, 2024

"The Storied Life" by Jared Wilson


I’ve had many conversations with Christian writers about the idea of “calling,” that writing is a calling from God. Most will agree; some even will identify a specific time when they experienced the calling. 
 

I can’t. Writing has been a part of my life since I can remember. I was raised in a culturally Christian home, but I had been writing for almost 12 years by the time I became a Christian. I wrote my first story when I was 10; I don’t remember much about it except it was a mystery, involved a group of kids, and featured a grandfather clock that opened to a secret passage and a cave. 

Jared Wilson has had a far different experience. In The Storied Life: Christian Writing as Art and Worship, he develops the idea of writing as a specific calling (a kind of ministry, for those unfamiliar with “calling”) and goes so far as the suggest a theology of writing. 

To continue reading, please see my post today at Dancing Priest.

Some Wednesday Readings

 

Gollum is getting his own spinoff. But is it really necessary? – Brittany Allen at Literary Hub.

 

‘All Nature Has a Feeling,’ poem by John Clare – Sally Thomas at Poems Ancient and Modern.

 

Blessing (For One Who Has Blessed) – poem by David Whyte.

 

Intolerance Unmasked: The Persecution of Harrison Butker – John Horvat at The Imaginative Conservative.

 

Dandelions – poem by Cynthia Erlandson at Society of Classical Poets.

No comments: