Wednesday, August 28, 2024

"Decisions of the Vicksburg Campaign" by Larry Peterson


I’ve completed for reading and research for my Civil War novel, tentatively entitled Brookhaven. It’s been something of a relief to see the conclusion of this phase of the project, and I’ll have more to say about the next phase soon. 

The Civil War is something of a publishing mini-industry; new books are coming out all the time. I think we keep examining the war, what left up to it, and what came afterward to try to understand our own times. I can say that much of what I thought I knew has undergone some serious revision.

 

I’m still following news of new articles and books on the conflict, and one was recently published that I couldn’t resist. Decisions of the Vicksburg Campaign: The Eighteen Critical Decisions That Defined the Operation was written by Larry Peterson and published recently by the University of Tennessee Press. And I couldn’t resist it because it was precisely the operation that framed the Civil War experience of my ancestors. 

To continue reading, please see my post today at Dancing Priest.

Some Wednesday Readings

 

‘We called her mastadon’: infamous New Orleans orphanage’s abusive history ran deeper than ever known – Jason Berry at The Guardian.

 

Sigmund Freud’s Grief – David Bannon at Front Porch Republic.

 

Suspected burglar caught after sitting down with book – Zahra Fatima at BBC.

 

“The Clouded Morning,” poem by Jones Very – Sally Thomas at Poems Ancient and Modern.

 

No comments: