Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Poets and Poems: Spencer K.M. Brown and "Cicada Rex"


I discovered a poet because I read his novel first. 

Some had recommended Hold Fast, the second novel by Spencer K.M. Brown. It’s the story of a father and his adult son, how they deal with grief, and how the adapt to the loss of their individual dreams. It’s a beautiful story, set on the stark, cold shore of Lake Superior.

 

I learned that Brown had published a previous novel, “Move Over Mountain” (2022), and a poetry chapbook (2024), “Cicada Rex.” Given this was year of the cicada, at least around my neighborhood, I had to read the poetry collection.


To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.


Some Tuesday Readings

 

Pitching Failures – Terry Whalin at The Writing Life.

 

Britain’s Foxes are Beset by Wolves – N.S. Lyons at The Upheaval. 

 

At the museum – artwork by Sonja Benskin Mesher.

 

“On First Looking into Chapman’s Homer,” poem by John Keats – Sally Thomas at Poems Ancient and Modern.

 

Sticky - Dave Malone’s new workshop: “Writing & Crafting Excellent Poems” – Megan Willome at Poetry for Life. 

No comments: