Tuesday, August 21, 2018

What Do You Do in the Calm After the Storm?


It’s the calm after the storm.

For months, it’s been days and weeks of intense writing, rewriting, editing, re-editing, adding to, and subtracting from. I thought novel #4 would be a relative slam dunk, since large chunks of it have existed for more than a decade. All I had to do was add a few thousand words and polish it up, and then it would be ready, correct?

Well, no.

What finally emerged as a completed manuscript draft bears little resemblance to the text I started with. The story idea remained the same, but along the way a supplementary narrative was added, characters changed, new conflicts emerged, and the original text was rewritten at least three times. Then it was editing and proofing and fact-checking. 

To continue reading, please see my post today at the ACFW blog.

Photograph by Keenan Constance via Unsplash. Used with permission.

2 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Read your piece over at the other site Glynn. So is this #4 a continuation of the Kent Chronicles or is this a new one? I have loaned your trilogy to a lady and she is mad at me now for giving her books that keep her up late or she has to put down because of work the next morning. I laughed at her. Please let me know when this new one is published.

Glynn said...

Bill, it's Number 4 in the Dancing Priest series, tentatively entitled "Dancing Prophet." And thanks for the reader's report!