Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Edwin Arlington Robinson: A Poet for Poets and Poetry Readers


My favorite period of American literary history is roughly 1895 to 1940. As literary periods go, it’s a large swath of time, and it includes both the Realists and Modernists (and perhaps it’s because I don’t see a clear delineation between those two schools of literature).   

For novelists, that includes Stephen Crane, Jack London, Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, Sinclair Lewis, Sherwood Anderson, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, and William Faulkner. My wife thinks I’m slightly crazy, but I’m one of the few people she’s ever heard of who enjoys reading Faulkner.

 

For poets, it’s T.S. Eliot, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Edgar Lee Masters, Vachel Lindsay, Robert Frost, and others – “others” including Edwin Arlington Robinson (1869-1935).


To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.


Some Tuesday Readings

 

Brian Miller on Kayaking with Lambs – John Murdock at Front Porch Republic.

 

Poetry Club Tea Date: The Poet – Tweetspeak Poetry.

 

The Old House – poem by Paul Wittenberger. 

 

Waiting for My Autistic Son to Speak – poem by Heather Cadenhead at Rabbit Room Poetry.

 

I don’t know – poem by Franco Amati at Garbage Notes.

No comments: