Wednesday, January 31, 2024

The First Book I Ever Bought


It was the summer before I turned seven. A favorite activity for all of us kids in the neighborhood was to ride our bikes up to the TG&Y dime store in the local shopping center and usually just drool over all the toys in the children’s section. The distance between our block and the dime store was about a mile-and-a-half; we’d ride back streets to get there, avoiding the more direct, and busy, nearby U.S. Highway 61. 

The shopping center included the TG&Y, a Beall’s department store, a Western Auto, a Mackenzie’s Bakery, and the anchor, the A&P grocery store. A few years later, a Katz & Bestoff (K&B) drug store was added on the western end. 

As young as I was, I was reading beyond my years. I liked the dime store’s toys and games as much as anyone, but I also would wander over to where the children’s books were displayed in something like a magazine rack, with staggered rows so you could see all the titles. The books were for all ages, from toddler to young teen. 

To continue reading, please see my post today at Dancing Priest.

Photograph by Eleanor Brooke via Unsplash. Used with permission.


Some Wednesday Readings

 

The Pulls and Fears of Andersonville – Sarah Kay Bierle at Emerging Civil War. 

 

Will this Civil War soldier Bible find its way back to his family? – John Banks’ Civil War Blog.

 

Book Review: Building a House Divided: Slavery, Westward Expansion, and the Roots of the Civil War – Patrick Kelly-Fischer at Emerging Civil War.

No comments: