Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday Good Reads



For the next two or three weeks, I thought I’d try something a little different with Saturday Good Reads, and that is to highlight some of the blogs (and bloggers) that I regularly cite in these posts, as well as a few of the newer ones.

The process starts with my RSS reader (in this case, Google Reader). I check it two or three times a day. The number of subscriptions is on the large side, primarily because I check some of the sites that are part of The High Calling Network. The reader shows any new additions to the blogs that I follow.

From that point, it’s what I find interesting, moving, intriguing – in short, whatever appeals and what I think people will find engaging. I read a lot of blog posts, and I can’t include everything I’d like to, so there’s a lot of good stuff that doesn’t get included.

I invariably include a post by Billy Coffey, who blogs at What I Learned Today. Billy blogs twice a week, and his ability to tell a story never disappoints. The author of two novels, he has a new coming out next year from Thomas Nelson.

Maureen Doallas, blogging at Writing Without Paper, is a poet, businesswoman, researcher extraordinaire, lover of art, and one fine writer. She’s published Neruda’s Memoirs: Poems, which I’ve read three times and still like to go back and read selections from.

Susan Etole takes some absolutely wonderful photographs, and then combines them with a Scripture verse, a quote, a saying – and creates a new combined magic. She blogs at Just…A Moment.

Nancy Rosback writes poetry, takes photographs – and I usually can’t tell which one is poetry and which one is a photo. They’re all good. She blogs at A Little Somethin’.

Michael Perkins in a pastor in Nachitoches, Louisiana, and has one of the more unusual blogs I’ve seen – all handwritten notes. He blogs at (where else?) The Handwritten.

Tim Good is another photographer whose photos I enjoy. Tim wanders out into parks and prairies and finds some incredibly beautiful things with his camera. He blogs at Good Photography (or Photography by Tiwago).

And then there is my friend J of India, who blogs at Neither Use Nor Ornament. He travels a fair bit – all over India, the Himalayas, Asia, New Zealand – and he takes wonderful photographs, especially ones that rock with color. If it is possible to have a best friend you’ve never met and who lives on the other side of the world, then for me it is J.

Some poetry bloggers (poems and articles) that I follow include D.S. Martin at Kingdom Poets, who posts weekly on Christian poets from the past; Jerry Barrett at Gerald the Writer, who does poems, essays and whatever might strike his imagination; Karen Eck at Karenee Art, who does poetry and art in about equal measure; Brian Miller at WayStationOne, whom I first met via One Stop Poetry; and B.K. McKenzie at Signed…BKM, who doesn’t post poems near as often as I would like.

When It comes to videos, I lean in the direction of music, and I’ll feature just about anything from The Piano Guys.

Next week, I’ll have some of the newer people I’ve been following (newer in terms of me finding them).

Photograph: Big Ben by Anna Langova via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

thank you kind sir...i am among great company...know quite a few poets....and its been great knowing you the last couple years as well...have a wonderful saturday!

Sheila Siler said...

Thanks for sharing your list, I'll be checking them out!

Anonymous said...

I like this new direction.
The litttle bits about the people/blog pulls me in to relationocity.

A very good turn of inventiveness.

Thanks for being a friend.

n.

:-)

Maureen said...

To be in such great company is a huge compliment. Thank you, Glynn.

S. Etole said...

Yes ... a true privilege. Thank you, Glynn.