Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I opened a book


I opened a book, selecting
a place at random, and began
to read from mid-sentence,
to see that it is only a fragment
of time, text without context.
I look to the sky.

I look to the sky to explain
but it remains a bright blue,
silent except for a few clouds.
Even the wind has stopped,
hiding in the mountains,
hovering above the sea.

This poem is submitted to Open Link Night at dVersePoets. To see other poems, please visit the site. The links will be live at 2 p.m. Central today.


Photograph by George Hodan via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

read steve's...
its similar in concept i think...
how one little word or phrase will take us places...still the oceans even...such is the power...smiles.

brudberg said...

Love how the concept ot the random reading.. and connecting to the sky without clouds. Great.

Anonymous said...

That's the way I read poetry - a fragment catches my eye, my ear, my imagination. And then I try to connect to myself, the world and everything. Beautifully described.

Jerry said...

Favorite line:

silent except for a few clouds.

It stopped me like a text without context.

Timoteo said...

I often do this--open a book to a random page and begin reading...usually it's meaningless, but sometimes there is a message there I know was meant just or me!