Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Now Look Who’s Writing Poetry: Cats


It’s rather startling: a recurring line in a poem that reads “I could pee on that.”

Charles Bukowski, perhaps? Sandra Bernhard waxing softly poetic?

Nope. A cat.

Her new sweater doesn’t smell of me
I could pee on that
She’s gone out for the day and
   left her laptop on the counter
I could pee on that
Her new boyfriend just pushed
   my head away
I could pee on him
She’s ignoring me ignoring her
I could pee everywhere
She’s making up for it
   by putting me on her lap
I could pee on this
I could pee on this

That’s the title poem of I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats by Francesco Marciuliano. You may have heard of him; when he’s not recording poems by cats, he’s co-authoring the comic strip Sally Forth. Marciuliano writes the strip; Craig Macintosh draws it. The strip has no cats; those are saved for this book.


To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.

Photograph by George Hodan via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i might just have to get back onto twitter so that i can take part in twitter poetry time.

but, it will have to wait until comcast comes through with some faster internet speed.

Timoteo said...

As one who lives with cats, I can attest that this poet has a remarkable insight into the feline psyche.