Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Do You Remember the First Poetry Book You Bought?


My mother was a great one for reading aloud to her young children. Some of my earliest memories, notwithstanding putting the dog in the oven or pouring shoe polish on the sofa, are of my mother reading to me. I learned many Mother Goose nursery rhymes sitting next to her on the (repaired) sofa. Story time involved a big green book entitled Stories Children Love by Watty Piper, first published in the 1920s with the kinds of illustrations popular for children at the time. 

I still have that book. I loved the stories filled big bad wolves, evil stepmothers, giants, and ogres. The binding is now wearing thin, but it’s still intact. You can find the listing on Amazon, but it’s “currently unavailable.” 

 

I was the middle child, with fairly large gaps between me and my two brothers. Mother read to all three of us, but for whatever reason, I turned out to be the major reader in the family. That became a lifelong habit, and I give full credit to my mother for instilling a love of reading and books in me. 


To continue reading, please see me post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.


Some Tuesday Readings

 

Light rain – poem and artwork by Sonja Benskin Mesher.

 

More of this, please: Ilya Kaminsky writes a poetic response to Giacometti – Janet Manley at Literary Hub.

 

A salvaged word – Kelly Belmonte at All Nine.

No comments: