Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sacred Sand

On Thursday at his Good Word Editing blog, Marcus Goodyear posted a poem entitled “Yet Another Heresy,” that had to do with Moses. Inspired by the poem, L.L. Barkat posted “Note to the Shepherd,” about the burning bush, at her Love Notes to Yahweh blog. As soon as I read L.L.’s poem, I knew I had to to write one on the sacred sand.

With no planning or coordination aforethought, we’re telling the story of the Book of Exodus, Chapter 3.

Sacred Sand

I stand upon holy
ground, sacred sand
that burns my soles,
my soul, sand burning
hot and holy, holy
where you are, purifying
with the inferno’s roar.
Fiery needles of silicon
scorch my feet, pierce my
soles, my soul, but like the
bush leave them flaming,
not consumed.
I hide my face in the
cleft of the rock.
The sand reflects the
cloaked face I cannot hide.

Update: Phoenix Karenee adds a fourth poem, "Not Me. I AM."

5 comments:

Maureen said...

This is beautifully written, Glynn. There's such depth of feeling that you convey through the metaphor of the hot sand. Nice interplay of soul and soles.

Louise Gallagher said...

it is beautifully written, Glynn. And the flow is melodious and soothing. I too like the interplay and the rythym of soul and soles.

Nice!

Marcus Goodyear said...

I like the last two lines especially.

Unknown said...

"purifying with the inferno's roar" ... I couldn't help but follow.

Linda said...

So powerful Glynn.