Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fury



No warning, or portent,
only a slight movement of air
at first, birthing wind
strengthening
forcing small droplets of vapor
together, into clouds
darkening, edged in gray
then blue-black, a herald
of destructive desire
clouds baptizing softly
then hard, tiny stilettos stinging
skin, tearing at pores
as the fury wraps around me,
offering not destruction
not violence or death
but love, ultimately.

I’ve been reading The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning, and his chapter entitled “Fury” put me in mind of the images above. More on that tomorrow.

This poem is submitted to Open Link Night at dVersePoets.

Photograph by Petr Kratochvil via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Like the image of "hard, tiny stilettos stinging /skin".

Brian Miller said...

clouds baptizing softly then hard...ha...i like that....i rather like to stand in the storm and feel its power....

Tashtoo said...

You make me want to dance in the rain to the sound of thunder...fantastic description and word play here...and love the photo you've selected...awesome visit!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how so many of our images of love are so soft - but passion is not soft at all; it just knows when to be gentle.

Andy Sewina said...

I do like the way you wrap this up with love!

Mine’s HERE

Laura said...

"the fury wraps around me,
offering not destruction
not violence or death
but love, ultimately." just beautiful.

Fatha Frank said...

And here I thought you were cheating for tomorrow :) This is a beautiful poem. You definately have a gift

Patricia said...

Yes, ultimately... love. Even in the midst of the storm. Last night we had thunder and lightning! Such a strange turn of weather. = )

Jerry said...

Love can almost be violent in it's expression (I am no talking not sex here). The effects perhaps grab our full attention. I remember when my counselor in fifth grade (I was having a tough year...just ask my teacher, poor thing)came to my house dressed as Santa.When I figured out who he was I was overtaken with emotion and melted. A simple act of love which shot like lightning. That was 40 years ago!