Thursday, January 10, 2013

My One Word Isn’t


I’d been seeing a lot of blog posts – a LOT of blog posts – about “one word for 2013.” It’s an idea, organized by someone so far back in the viral chain that they’re probably not identifiable, to select one word as your “word” for the year, and then blog about it.

I’ve seen so many posts about “one word” that I think I’ve been caught up in a permanent online flash mob.

But, I persevered. I thought I had safely dodged this, when I received an email from Bonnie Gray at Faith Barista, who’s been away from blogging for a time for personal reasons and is now writing again. And Bonnie asked me to consider linking up today, using the theme “one word.”

Quandry. Angst. Anxiety. I was so pleased that Bonnie’s back among the blogging.  But could I take the plunge into the flash mob?

And even if I could, could I choose only one word, one word that would somehow summarize my plans and goals, hopes and dreams, for the year? And even if I could somehow pull that off, could I find a word that wasn’t like everyone else’s?

To give you an idea of what’s already been taken and written about: faith, hope, love, encourage, plan, joy, write, rejoice, worship, excite, race, excel, achieve, publish (a lot of writers are doing this), engage, involve, serve, diet (this might have been my favorite one-word post), lose, gain, soar – I think you see the problem. What’s left are words like survive, subsist, meander, complain, and procrastinate.

Yes, I could use a word that’s already been taken, but that’s not very original. Anything I might say would be additive at best. I mean, after you’ve read five different writers on “encourage,” it’s all pretty much been said, in an encouraging way, of course.

I pondered. Could I find one word that encapsulated all my hopes, and even my fears, for 2013? Could I find one word so encompassing that people, including me, would be amazed and dazzled?

I’m not sure about the amazement and the dazzling, but I did think of a word.

One word – one word that includes everything. One word that will tell you everything you need to know. One word that includes every goal, hope, dream, concern, issue, fear, desire and aspiration that I have for 2013.

And not only that, but I haven’t seen anyone else claim it. Perhaps it is too big an idea. Perhaps some considered it and turned away with a shudder.

But never to stop where angels fear to tread, I can confidently claim my all-encompassing word for 2013.

And the word -- my one word for 2013 that includes everything -- is dictionary.


To see more posts on "one word," please visit Bonnie Gray at Faith Barista.

Photograph by Daniel Pellati via PublicDomain Pictures. Used with permission. I knew my one word was somewhere in that pile of paper.

16 comments:

Eileen said...

Ha! Oh my...that's a HUGE word to tackle this year. You might be the only one in the One Word community who has claimed it too :)

S. Etole said...

You may just be the one person that can do this word justice!

Maureen said...

Great post, Glynn! Such a perfect choice. I want to know which version of whose tome you're using.

My own word: "Enough". It works for so much!

Unknown said...

Aha! Thanks so much for the laugh.

jasonS said...

That is perfect, Glynn. With your love of words, that's a wonderful choice. :)

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Lol, Glynn! So, we one-worders are a regular flash mob? You hit that one right on the head, and I'm guilty as charged. :) Of course, I'm having a wonderful time with the word "love" and, as this is the first year I've ever done this, finding it quite satisfying and inspiring.
Love your choice of "dictionary", my friend, and, of course, your boundless sense of humor.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Oooh. very cunning and clever! I'm impressed that you came up with the word that describes a collection of words.

I can't seem to come up with a word for the whole year. However, i liked the word, snort, yesterday. And today i am favoring the word, boogaloo.

Megan Willome said...

I was holding out for "meander."

a joyful noise said...

Wonderful thought - every word that you need is there.
I don't have a word either, but thought as I prayed for some orphan children who struggle with abandonment issues... OPEN the eyes of their understanding to know they are special and loved. OPEN their mind to receive truth from God's Word. OPEN their hearts to love and be loved by their teachers and mentors.

diana said...

I loved this whole post so much - but you really had me at the leftovers. I'm with Megan - meander would have been lovely. Actually, really lovely. Sigh.

Jody Lee Collins said...

'Dictionary?' That is brilliant.

Louise Gallagher said...

You make me smile.

Bonnie Gray said...

Glynn! You made me LAUGH. And that is no small feat these days.

First at "diet".

Then, as I raced all the way to the end of your blog post, following that billowing chimney smoke, luring me with dreams of hot cocoa with marshmallows -- I bust through the doors, to lay my eyes on...

A dictionary. (Next to the fireplace you lit, btw)

It reminded me of the first time I watched the concluding words of Citizen Kane. Rosebud.

This is a must read in this week's faith jam link-up!

Daniel Dydek said...

Brilliant.

I have unfortunately not the finger on the pulse of the blogosphere, and opportunity is bald behind. Thoroughly enjoyed your choice though.

Anonymous said...

I was half expecting thesaurus. If it's still free I might claim, appropriate, requisition, grab, annex,secure, snatch or swipe it :-)

David Rupert said...

The whole "one word" thing leaves me feeling a little smug. I got all kinds of words! And dictionary -- that's fun.