Monday, September 12, 2011

We met a stranger



We met a stranger as
we walked along the road,
our sandaled feet covered
in dust, speaking of what
happened in the city.
He walked with us, silent.
When he spoke, this stranger,
he shocked with ignorance,
then shocked us with knowledge.
When he joined us to eat,
it was the bread he broke,
the bread, the life of bread,
that told us who he was.
He left only the bread.

This poem is submitted to the Warrior Poet Circle hosted by Jason Stasyszen at Connecting to Impact. To see more poems, please visit Jason’s site.

I’ve recorded the poem for the Voices and Prayers links at A Little Somethin’, hosted by Nancy Rosback. To hear more recorded poems, please visit Nancy's site.

Painting: Road to Emmaus by John Dunne.
We met a stranger by Glynn2

10 comments:

Lorrie said...

Words to meditate on... I like.

Unknown said...

What a blessing that meeting has been.

Louise Gallagher said...

Meetings like this one are blessed events to be shared.

You shared it well with your words and your voice.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

The story of the Emmaus travelers is one of my favorites in all the Bible. I have felt that "holy heartburn" when Jesus has broken bread with me.

Thank you for sharing the story from your perspective ... with your voice.

Anonymous said...

This story is one of my favorites too. Reminds me that even when we don't recognize Him, He's right there and He reveals Himself in such marvelous ways. Thanks Glynn. Wonderful.

Kathleen Overby said...

"He walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am his own." :) :) :) Love this...

S. Etole said...

Hearing these poems read adds so much. And this was good to begin with!

Anonymous said...

Glynn, The Emmaus road story is one of my favorites in the entire bible. Something about the part where they say after he disappeared in front of their eyes, "Didn't his words burn in our hearts?" I have felt that burning - of love, desire, longing - in my heart, when He is near.

nitewrit said...

And like Cleopas we must keep informing others He lives. Very beautiful retelling of that passage and made more powerful by your voice.


Larry

Anonymous said...

If they had only known... I wonder how much we miss?