Monday, November 7, 2011

Tender Times Two


There are two of them,
two headstrong bulls
raging around that china shop,
leaving lots of pieces, fragments
in their wakes. Headstrong,
did I say headstrong? As calves
they took us on wild rides and
never stopped, not once, we
sort of held on to their ears
as we bucked and bumped
through those years.
Strong-willed, did I mention
strong-willed? Their way or
the highway. Rein ‘em in
when you’re left standing
with broken reins? But I
didn’t say tenderhearted, did I,
and I should have said that,
two raging bulls with hearts
bruise-able and hurt-able
and tender-able. And how do I
know that, you say? Because
I know how to read a mirror.

For Travis and Andrew

This poem is submitted to the Warrior Poet Circle hosted by Jason Stasyszen at Connecting to Impact. To see more poems submitted for the prompt “tenderhearted,” please visit Jason’s site.

12 comments:

JofIndia said...

Headstrong, strong-willed and tender-hearted...
Yes, I wonder where such character came from...?

Louise Gallagher said...

Beautiful!

Maureen said...

This is one of your best, I think. I particularly like your concluding line.

Doug Spurling said...

From picture to period; as poignant as a bull in a china…

S. Etole said...

Grateful, Glynn, for this ... that last line especially.

Patricia said...

Our sons both came home from college this weekend. We sat in amazement, looking at them as young men talking to us like adults and actually lingering at the table when dinner was over. Oh, my heart, it was as though I could still see those two young bulls trying to beat each other up and wondering how the time passed.

Anonymous said...

i have two
girls
but
still
i know
the mirror

Anonymous said...

oh...
and
yes

wonderful poem

good photo too

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Powerful... the photo, your writing. That photo- wow! The soldier- such tenderness. It is in the mirror. Awesome poem! Thanks for sharing this. : )

Anne Lang Bundy said...

A tender heart beats through every line ...

That mirror we see in the faces of our daughters and sons clearly reflects more than any other, I think.

Anonymous said...

This is so, so good, Glynn. Thank you for being a part. Very moving.

Linda said...

This just makes me smile Glynn. It is wonderful and so very true.
Praying your back is getting better. I know how terrible back pain can be.