Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday Good Reads

Playing sandlot baseball. Dealing with the death of a father. Late autumn on a  road. A kiss. A teenaged poet. Two penguins. Opera at Macy's. And more. A great week for writing, photography and art online.

Prose

Harvesting a sense of purpose and family ties on a Iowa farm,” guest column by Jennifer Dukes-Lee for the Des Moines Register.

A Birthday Meditation” by Cassandra Frear at Moonboat Café.

November’s Song” and “Worship” by Susan Etole at Just a Moment.

Are you looking at me?” by Nancy Rosback at Bend the Page.

Encouraging Others” by Michael Perkins at Untitled.

Humility: The Writer’s Indispensable Virtue” by Mike Duran at deCompose.

The Man on the Corner” by Michelle DeRusha at Graceful.

What Happens When I Let My Mind Wander as I Type” by Monica Brand at Paper Bridges.

Can Death Be Holy?” and “The Sum of a Life (in 125 Words or Less)” by David Rupert at Red-Letter Believers.

Of Sandlots and Cathedrals” by Fatha Frank at Public Christianity.

Hands and Beard Commands of the Future” by Rebecca Ramsey at Wonders Never Cease.

The Embarrassed Samaritan” by Bradford Winter at The Image Journal.

Why I Hate Writing – Part 4” and “Understanding Honor” by Kathy Richards at Katdish.

My most recent business plan, except I’m Louis Prima, and I keep showing up” by Greg Sullivan at Sippican Cottage.

On our endless struggle to think well of ourselves” by Bob Spencer at Wilderness Fandango.

The Ambition of Christ” by Jessica McGuire at Jezamama.

Playing Our Song” by John Blasé at Dirty Shame.

"Back in my day" and "Unanswered Prayers" by Billy Coffey.

Go” by Cliff at Soul of a Christian Triathlete.

The Best or the Rest?” by Chrystie Cole at Path from the Head to the Heart.

Attitude: It Makes All the Difference” by Louise Gallagher at Recover Your Joy.

Poetry

The Estuary” and "A Moment Framed" by Pete Marshall for One Stop Poetry.

Fire-Sky” by Laura Boggess at The Wellspring

Learning Paul’s Perspective” by Karen Eck at Karenee Art.

One Time” and “Late Autumn on Priory Road” by Adam White.

Five More Minutes” and “Help me pick a title for this one” by Jerry at Under the Door Frame.

Everyone Does” by Jim Schmotzer at The Faithful Skeptic.

Show Me” by Melissa at All the Words.

I’m a Rough Draft” by Michael Perkins at Untitled and “Dream Again” at the Michael Perkins blog.

The Kiss” by David Wheeler at Dave Writes Right.

"From the Bridge" and "By the Rules" by Maureen Doallas at Writing Without Paper.

I Am” by Sandra Heska King.

Anticlimax” by Justinian at Delight and Glory and Oddity and Light.

Mystery of the milkman” by Nancy Rosback at Crossroads.

Reflection” by Steven Marty Grant at Urbanality.

I Give You” by Linda Chontos at Linda’s Patchwork Quilt.

Splendor in Surrender” by A Simple Country Girl at Aspire to Lead a Quiet Life.

The Color of Things: On a Tuesday Leaving” by L.L. Barkat at Seedlings in Stone.

Enough Fog” by His Fire Fly at Flickers of a Faithful Firefly.

Young Poet David Wilkins” by Lesley Moon for One Stop Poetry.

Paintings and Photographs

Autumn Collage” and “Rain, Snow Wind and Sunshine” by Steve Gravano at Take a Look Around.

Loneliness” by Mikhail Shlemov.

Iron Mountain Study,” watermedia on Yupo by Randall David Tipton.

"Cracked Open” by Kathleen Overby at Neotony.

Random Act of Culture

A Slice of Heaven in a Department Store” via Zach Nielson at Vitamin Z.


Photograph: Lamp by Nancy Rosback. Used with permission.

13 comments:

Michelle DeRusha said...

I honestly do not know how you do it, Glynn -- but you are amazing and generous in this weekly compilation. Thank you for including my post...I'm off to do some good Saturday morning reading!

Louise Gallagher said...

Like Graceful -- I don't know how you do it, and I am glad you do. Your encouragement keeps me wanting to 'write better' -- and it reminds me that I am not alone, that we are connected through this space by the words and images we leave -- and we all leave a mark, we all have value to give, and receive.

Thanks Glynn. Your generosity touches my heart.

HisFireFly said...

Again I am honoured, blessed and encouraged to be counted among such gifted ones as these.

Glynn your words motivate many and move spirits in ways we may never know.

When we read we see how much better we can be!

katdish said...

Thank you again for the mentions. Wow. I've missed some good stuff this week. I appreciate your Saturday posts. Thank you.

Maureen said...

Thank you for highlighting two of my poems. It was a very good week for poetry, I think.

Linda said...

Thank you Glynn. I am so humbles to be in such company. You have a very special gift for encouraging - a selfless gift.

SimplyDarlene said...

Thank you for the kind hat-tip.

Kudos to you for your words that intermingle His heart too.

Blessings.

moondustwriter said...

Thanks for honoring me and especially me young aspiring poet friend David Wilkins. He will be delighted

Moon smiles

S. Etole said...

I appreciate being included in this gathering ... you bless so many.

Anonymous said...

Saturday sure came fast this week!

This week...
The grapes are in and being processed in different ways according to their variety, etc.

I made three trips to the airport for drop-off and pick-up of friends that come to work and peter.

I put many labels onto newsletters for the wines being bottled and for the two tastings, five days total, coming up in the next two weeks. And took three boxes full of them off to the the post office.

My eldest, Sydney, has been working the harvest every day, with out a day off for quite a while.

Peter is now in indiana for wine and to visit his father.
He said there was good weather in chicago and indy, but it could change soon.

The rain and chilly weather has sure started here in the valley.

a fast week, indeed.

THanks for reading my blog and for including me in your list.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Thanks so much, Glynn, for including my work. You're such an encourager. I really appreciate it. And I appreciate a ready made reading list for the weekend!!

Steven Marty Grant said...

You are a true gentleman, can't tell how thankful I am for you support and feedback.

Sandra Heska King said...

I've been out of town and just trying to catch up. I'm so honored to be included in this lineup. I repeat myself, I know, but you are such an encouragement. I feel honored to count you among my friends--real friends.